Thursday, October 8, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon Review


I love to read. Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't read as many blogs as I do. I love a good book, the escapism of it all. It is so relaxing for me to get lost in a good book. I have been like this for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl it was "Sweet Valley Twins" and "The Babysitter's Club". As I grew up I graduated to Stephen King and V.C. Andrews. Into my adulthood I have gone through favorites like Nicholas Sparks, Barbara Kingsolver, Jodi Picoult and Audrey Niffenegger.

Yes, I love to read. I was approached by the One2One Network about a month ago with the opportunity to get a copy of Once in a Blue Moon by Eileen Goudge. Ms. Goudge is the New York City-based author of The Diary, Domestic Affairs, Woman in Red, One Last Dance, Garden of Lies and Thorns of Truth.

I like books with characters I can relate to, a story I can get lost in, and one that sticks with me after I'm done reading it. After reading the excerpt of the book, I was ready to read it.

Sisters Lindsay and Kerrie Ann have known hardship from an early age. Without guidance from their neglectful mother, their only aid came from an unlikely source, a retired exotic dancer by the name of Miss Honi Love. When the girls’ mother was sent to prison, Miss Honi tried unsuccessfully to save them from being separated and sent into foster care.

Thirty years later, Lindsay is still trying to reconnect with her sister. The owner of a bookstore in the sleepy California seaside town of Blue Moon Bay, she was lucky enough to have been adopted by a loving couple. Unbeknownst to her, Kerrie Ann has suffered a very different life. Bounced from one foster home to the next, she ran away as a teenager before becoming a drug-addicted single mother. Now, newly sober, Kerrie Ann is fighting to regain custody of the little girl who was taken from her.

Neither sister’s expectations are met when they’re finally reunited. But as the two sisters engage in the fiercest battles of their lives, they are at last drawn together despite their differences, restoring belief in the unshakable bond of family.

This book was a little difficult for me to get into, but once I did, I was hooked. There were fun twists and turns in the story. Some things were pretty predictable, and all the ends were tied up nicely at the end.

Despite that, I really enjoyed this book and am sure you will too. This book was released on October 6, so it is available in stores everywhere NOW! So...go buy it...TODAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts with me.